Learning about solar energy advantages and disadvantages is essential, especially, when you are planning to install a solar power system. Knowing the pros and cons of solar energy will be necessary before you buy and install solar panels on your property.
The balance between the benefits and drawbacks of solar energy is vital for your decision-making process. In fact, it is the key factor for people to go for solar. It also allows them to confirm if installing a solar power system is really suitable for them. In this article, we present to you the list of advantages and disadvantages that will help you balance things out concerning your solar power system.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of solar energy?
|BENEFITS OF SOLAR ENERGY
|DRAWBACKS OF SOLAR ENERGY
|High Initial Cost
|Highly Dependent on Weather
|Energy Storage is Expensive
|Low Maintenance Costs
|Savings Depend on Electricity Costs
|Saves You from Increasing Electricity Bills
|Requires a Huge Space
What is solar energy?
Solar Energy is one of the most abundant and inexhaustible form of energy that is available on Earth. It is derived from the radiation that comes from the sunlight. Aside from being clean, it is also considered as renewable since it originates from the Sun. The source of solar energy almost never runs out, at least, not until millions of years later. In other words, it is a sustainable form of energy.
Did you know…
Our sun is a source of energy that is so powerful. The energy it produces for an hour to the Earth will be able to meet the energy requirements of the whole world for 365 days or 1 year. By installing solar panels, humans are able to harness a fraction of the sun’s solar energy. (Source)
What are the top solar energy pros and cons?
Solar is indeed a remarkable energy solution. This is especially true for property owners of any type. However, deciding to go for solar means you know the solar power advantages and disadvantages. In this article, we gather the top five benefits and drawbacks of solar energy.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of solar power?
Now that you have learned about the top 5 pros and cons of the energy coming from the sun, let us give you two more lists that are longer. The solar advantages list contains details about why solar power might be helpful to the property owners. On the other hand, the list of solar energy disadvantages includes the reasons why solar might not be suitable for some people and for some circumstances.
More Solar Energy Advantages
Undoubtedly, the benefits that solar energy brings can easily persuade people to go for it. Knowing these will help them weigh things for the important decision. So, we have compiled below the list of solar energy advantages.
- Source of energy (Sunlight) is readily available almost anywhere.
- It is a clean source of energy.
- It cuts down monthly electricity bills from electrical utilities.
- Solar energy helps the power suppliers in supplying the electricity demands of customers.
- It is a renewable energy source.
- This reduces our dependence on fossil fuels or oil and gas.
- It has diverse applications or uses.
- Solar power gives return on investments.
- It has low maintenance costs.
- Solar energy can be stored in batteries for later use.
- It can give you the ability to live grid-free.
- It is eco-friendly or environment-friendly.
- Solar technology enhances the value of home or building.
- PV systems have a long system life span.
- Solar industry creates more jobs and means of living.
- It promotes green advocacy of individuals or companies.
- It helps in promoting the use of electric cars and vehicles.
- The use of solar energy reduces carbon footprints or emissions.
- Solar technology is becoming more efficient and advanced year after year.
- Costs of solar panels are improving and becoming cheaper.
- Solar energy can supply power to remote areas.
- It can be used to provide shade to rooftop equipment (AC units).
- It does not produce noise or disturbances.
- A Solar PV system is easy to install.
- It can be monitored online daily or hourly.
- We can recycle solar panels.
More Solar Energy Disadvantages
Although solar power is a renewable type of energy source, it also has its own drawbacks. To be fair, we also need to write down the cons of solar energy here. People also need to see the other side of the coin. So, check out the list below for the solar energy disadvantages.
- Starting costs can be so expensive.
- Solar PV installation might require large area or space for the system setup or solar panel installation.
- Shading from trees and other buildings easily disrupts solar energy generation.
- Solar energy production is highly dependent on the weather.
- Savings from solar energy can be dependent on the cost of electricity.
- Improper installation might cause property damage.
- Improper recycling of materials can cause environmental issues.
- There is a need for a large battery bank to store solar energy to be used during night time.
- Installing solar system is not ideal for apartments.
- There is a potential for pollution to exist during the end of the system’s life.
- Some solar panels are prone to breakage due to falling debris or hail.
- There are very limited options for solar system insurance.
- Additional insurance cost for solar equipment can be expensive.
- There might be difficulty in finding expert installers.
Is solar power right for you?
Indeed, it is a significant thing to be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of solar energy. Through analyzing its pros and cons, people will know whether it suits their needs or not.
Moreover, it is always good to know more about the factors involved regarding solar energy system installation. Ultimately, what people need is a system that will generate solar energy efficiently and effectively.
Is Solar Cheaper Than Electricity?
When it comes to choosing something, we all want to have the most effective and affordable price. That may explain the raging debate on which power source is cheaper.
Could it be the electricity generated from different sources or is it the electricity that is produced from converting solar energy? Either way, there are both great sources of power in our homes.
Do You Really Save Money With Solar Panels?
A good way to understand this is to understand how solar panels work and how we can utilize them to work for our benefit in our homes.
Soon after purchasing a new home, the next move will be to provide an affordable and reliable source of electricity; a great choice will be to settle for the use of solar energy. To make use of solar energy, one needs to install solar panels on the roof.
What are the advantages of solar energy?
1. Fewer Electricity Bills
These panels convert sunlight into electricity that can be used in our homes. This will help reduce the cost of buying electricity every week or month.
While it is true that solar panels help save us from spending so much money on buying electricity, it is quite expensive to pay the initial deposit for the panels to be installed in our homes in the first place. However, with the electricity bills adding up monthly, a simple math can show that the initial payment for purchasing and installing the solar panels is recovered shortly afterwards.
It should take about a year to pay off the cost of having these panels installed, after that, the panels can be enjoyed for as long as possible at no extra cost.
What is more, if the house is sold later on, the seller will make even more money from the sale of the upgraded house to the prospective buyer.
2. It Needs Little or No Maintenance
Another great advantage of choosing solar panels is that after they are installed, there is no need for maintenance. This is because solar panels are very reliable and rarely get damaged, provided they have been purchased from a reputable company.
3. Flexible Payment Options
With solar panel systems, one can choose the best option depending on the needs and the given budget. Solar panels come in very sleek designs that can be stylishly mounted on any roof top. The number of panels that is used will determine how much energy can be saved up. Solar panels can be also purchased using a personal loan that is paid off in installments.
4. Tax Credit Extension
With this incentive, home buyers can enjoy a 26% Renewable Energy Federal Tax Credit. This scheme has helped ease the burden of solar system users, enabling them to save up more money from their use of this source of electricity in their homes.
From the foregoing points, it is clear that solar energy system help users save money, which would have been used for the purchase of electricity each month. It is also true that the cost of installing the panels may be quite high at the beginning. That is why some companies allow the customers to purchase solar panels using loans that can be paid back later.
In conclusion, going solar is definitely a huge decision to make. For people who are planning to install a solar PV system on their own homes or properties, proper research will be necessary. This will not only help them decide, but also it will let them learn about things to do and not to do when it comes to solar energy.
So, let us know in the comments section below if you have anything to add on the advantages and disadvantages of solar energy. You might also want to check more articles about solar energy here: